Whether it’s your commercial or residential property or office, commercial locks are a great resource for safety from theft and doors being broken into. Having a 24-hour locksmith service near you can save you a great deal. Here is how you can install a door lock:
Types of Commercial Door Locks
The type of door lock you choose to install depends on your specific needs and the kind of security you expect. Commercial door locks are graded according to the level of strength, durability, and price. The more durable and stable, the more expensive the door lock.
- Commercial Strike: These door locks are electrical, and typically use an intercom to allow one entry at a time.
- Keyless Entry Commercial Lock: With this type of door lock, you will need a passcode to access the building.
- Restricted Key System: The system limits on how many times you can make key copies. It is a basic locking system besides that.
- Master Key System: This system keeps a record of how many entries you make in a particular building area to prevent illegal entry.
- Magnetic Locks: Magnetic door locks use sensors with an electronic or card key for entry.
- Door Closers: The door closes automatically upon entry into the building. These types of commercial locks are electronically operated and need programming during installation. You can not try a DIY technique because experts and experienced locksmiths can do the building for you.
Knob Door Locks
Several other door locks have a lock cylinder in the knobs. The lock can jam, you lose your key, or the key gets stuck in the lock.
Here are steps on how to open the door lock and replace the cylinder:
- Unscrew the faceplate from the door edge.
- Loosen the screw without removing it.
- Insert the original key halfway, then turn it 45 degrees clockwise.
- Insert a pin in a hole on the side and push to release the latch.
- Turn the key at 90 degrees to remove the cylinder from the latch.
- Insert the new cylinder.
- Then insert the new key and turn it to 45 degrees.
- Screw the cylinder back to the hole clockwise.
- Tighten the set screw with a screwdriver.
- Listen for the sound of the cylinder clicking to announce it is home.
- Install the faceplate and test whether the lock.
The steps to install might look doable, but you may struggle if you forget where a specific part lodges. If the door lock uses a thumbturn instead of a key, use the same installation steps by turning the thumb turn.
Why You Need a Locksmith
Removing, replacing, and installing a commercial door lock can be a daunting process. A DIY attempt can bring about hazards instead of security to your property. The price of a commercial door can much higher than engaging a locksmith.
Are you living in the Fayetteville and Wilmington areas? Do you have commercial door lock problems and are worried about your security? Contact us at 4 Got Keys of Wilmington for reliable locksmith experts.